Following joint replacement, surgery after fracture, or severe cases of osteoarthritis it is normal to experience a decline in function and self confidence. Our orthopaedic program is designed not only to prevent this decline, but improve your capacity beyond your previous limitations.
Orthopaedic rehabilitation program
If you have trouble with your knees, hips, back, following surgery, or any another orthopaedic condition that is negatively effecting your activities of daily life, Westmead Rehab's orthopaedic rehabilitation team will help get you back in shape.
Inpatient program structure
- Initial assessment within 24 hours of admission by Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Exercise Physiologist, and Geriatrician/Rehabilitation Specialist
- Holistic team approach to treatment and achieving the best possible results following your surgery
- Daily therapy from all disciplines as indicated, daily (or as tolerated) - hydrotherapy also available
- Discharge planning into a safe and supportive environment, and referral to our specialised orthopaedic day program
Day program structure
- One and a half to three hours of therapy (depending on tolerances)
- Exercise physiology, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and hydrotherapy
- One to two days per week over six weeks (program length can be varied based on your progress)
How to access the program
Ask your General Practitioner or Orthopaedic Specialist to refer you to our program. Eligibility and funding requests are arranged prior to admission.
Private health fund, DVA, WorkCover and CTP referrals are accepted.
If you have an excess or co-payment with your health insurance, you will be required to pay this at the time of admission.
Self-funded patients will be required to pay at the time of admission.
Please contact our day rehabilitation staff on 02 8833 3555 for further assistance.
For further information, please refer to: